Cajun Ninja's smothered pork chops and onion gravy recipe
This is not my recipe. It’s Cajun Ninja’s. Only posting it here so that I don’t have to read a youtube comment for it :)
We’ve made this multiple times. It’s legit.
- 6-8 Bone-in Pork Chops
- Kosher Salt for flavor
- Coarse Black Pepper for flavor
- 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Onions
- 1/2 Stick of Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 (32 oz) Container of Chicken Stock
- 1 Teaspoon of Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- Rice or Mashed Potatoes to serve with
- Start out by getting a pan heated over med/high heat.
- Generously season each side of the pork chops with the fresh salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable oil to the hot pan.
- Brown each side of your pork chops by searing them for 4-5 minutes on each side. When you remove them, you want to put them on a hard plate or bowl. This will help salvage any excess liquid that comes off of them.
- While your pork chops are searing, go ahead and chop your onions.
- Once you have browned all of your pork chops, remove, and add your chopped onions to the pan.
- Feel free to add a small amount of cold water to help break up the drippings on the bottom of the pan.
- Sauté the onions for 5 minutes, then add the 1/2 Stick of Butter. Melt the butter completely, then add the flour.
- When your onions are soft and brown, add a small amount of the chicken stock and mix well. You want to get a creamy consistency.
- Add most or all of the remaining chicken stock to the pan.
- Next layer your pork chops over the onion gravy. Be sure to pour any of the excess liquid from the plate or bowl the pork chops were in, back into the pan.
- Add the Cajun/Creole Seasoning.
- Add the 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, then lower to a simmering heat. Cook for 2 hours.
- Feel free to stir every 15 minutes.
- For a thicker gravy, leave uncovered the last 30 minutes.
- Serve with either rice or mashed potatoes.
I tweaked some quantities. Instead of 1/2 stick of butter, used 1. Instead of 1/4 cup flour, used 1/2.