Kylynn's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
| Lastmod: 2019-07-05
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 2 1⁄4-1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (plus a tablespoon or two if needed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups oatmeal (used old fashion oats)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. If using convection, preheat to 375 as well.
- For regular oven, place rack in middle of oven. When using a convection oven, you should be able to bake on all racks at one time.
- Cut butter into pieces (about 2 tablespoons each) and place in mixing bowl. I use a Kitchen Aid and power it on 2 (low).
- After a few seconds, add granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until creamy (this takes just a few seconds). The butter and the sugars should be mixed enough so no chunks of butter are visible.
- Add eggs, beating just until incorporated and smooth. Never turn the beaters on high.
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and bottom of the bowl to insure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Dump 2 cups of the flour, soda, salt and chocolate chips all together into bowl with butter mixture. Add the remaining 3⁄4 cup of flour to the top of this mixture. Slowly mix the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips together. I have had great success with simply PULSING the mixer at this point. Do not over mix. Turn the dough with a rubber spatula so the bottom of the dough is mixed into the top of the dough. This will insure the flour is mixed in properly and the chips are distributed evenly.
- If the dough is sticky, add an additional 2-3 tablespoons of flour to the dough. Remove the bowl from the stand if using a stand mixer, and fold in the flour. This is only necessary if the dough is sticky.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop onto un-greased baking sheets, or baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Place 6 scoops of dough on each baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- If using convection, bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown.
- If using regular (non-convection) oven, bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies should be slightly golden and the cookie should not be wet on top.
- Cool on baking sheets completely.
Adapted from Family Recipes: Chocolate Chip Cookies.